Moving out of the San Diego Housing Commission’s (SDHC) jurisdiction, which is the City of San Diego, with Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance is known as “porting out.”
Households that SDHC identifies as able to work (Work-Able) may only move with their rental assistance to an area outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction if they request and receive an exception, such as:
- Employment opportunities;
- Post-secondary education;
- Safety reasons;
- A medical/disability need; or
- Other exceptions determined on a case-by-case basis.
A household is Work-Able if at least one adult is under 55, not disabled, and not a full-time student ages 18-23.
This policy does not affect Elderly/Disabled households, in which all adult family members are disabled, 55 years or older, and/or a fulltime student ages 18 to 23.
To qualify to move with your voucher, either within the City of San Diego, or outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction:
- You must have been a rental assistance participant for at least 12 months
- You cannot have moved within that 12-month period
- You must not be in violation of any program rules
- You must not have any outstanding payments owed to SDHC
For a printable version of the following Step-by-Step Guide, CLICK HERE