Close Icon

Moving Out of San Diego

Moving out of the San Diego Housing Commission’s (SDHC) jurisdiction, which is the City of San Diego, with Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance is known as “porting out.”

Households that SDHC identifies as able to work (Work-Able) may only move with their rental assistance to an area outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction if they request and receive an exception, such as:

  • Employment opportunities;
  • Post-secondary education;
  • Safety reasons;
  • A medical/disability need; or
  • Other exceptions determined on a case-by-case basis.

A household is Work-Able if at least one adult is under 55, not disabled, and not a full-time student ages 18-23.

This policy does not affect Elderly/Disabled households, in which all adult family members are disabled, 55 years or older, and/or a fulltime student ages 18 to 23.

To qualify to move with your voucher, either within the City of San Diego, or outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction:

  • You must have been a rental assistance participant for at least 12 months
  • You cannot have moved within that 12-month period
  • You must not be in violation of any program rules
  • You must not have any outstanding payments owed to SDHC

For a printable version of the following Step-by-Step Guide, CLICK HERE

Step 1 - Start the Port-out process

Make sure that the new city or county you want to move to is covered by a Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) website for a list of Public Housing Agencies – CLICK HERE, or call HUD toll-free at 1-800-955-2232.


Step 2 - Complete the Port-out Request form

Contact your SDHC Housing Assistant for additional information and to receive a Port-out Request Form, which you must complete and return to SDHC.


Step 3 - Port-Out Approval

- If your move is approved, your Housing Assistant will send you a rental housing voucher to sign, date and return to SDHC.

- You must also provide SDHC with a copy of the Notice to Move form you submitted to your landlord.

- You will receive confirmation when SDHC sends your documents to the new Housing Agency.

Step 4 - The New Housing Agency  

- Your new Housing Agency will provide you with all necessary documents and forms to complete and return to finalize the transfer of your rental housing voucher.

- You are encouraged to contact the new Housing Agency for questions related to their policies and procedures, including any inquiries related to the moving process

Let's get you there…

I am looking for…