The City of San Diego (City) Community Action Plan on Homelessness is a comprehensive, 10-year plan that builds on recent progress, lays out short-term achievable goals and will serve as a guide for long-term success in addressing homelessness.
On October 14, 2019, the San Diego City Council unanimously accepted the City’s Community Action Plan on Homelessness.
The plan recommended the creation of a Leadership Council to provide for cross-agency collaboration, alignment of resources toward systems-level thinking and accountability. The Leadership Council will review progress, problem-solve when challenges arise, identify funding and resources for implementation, and create an appropriate level of both accountability and insulation from political issues.
The Leadership Council consists of:
- City of San Diego Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer
- San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward, Chair of the Regional Task Force on the Homeless (RTFH)
- County of San Diego Supervisor Nathan Fletcher, Vice Chair of the RTFH
- San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) President & CEO Richard C. Gentry
- RTFH CEO Tamera Kohler
- Lucky Duck Foundation Board Member Peter Seidler, General Partner of the San Diego Padres
- Voices of Our City Choir Advocacy & Operations Director John Brady
- San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) Vice President of State Governmental Affairs and External Affairs Eugene “Mitch” Mitchell
The Leadership Council oversees the Interagency Implementation Team, which consists of members from the four main funding agencies and oversight structures in the City related to homelessness:
- City of San Diego Chief of Homelessness Strategies and Housing Liaison Keely Halsey
- San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward’s Chief of Staff Molly Chase
- RTFH CEO Tamera Kohler
- SDHC Senior Vice President of Homeless Housing Innovations Lisa Jones
Leadership Council Memos
- July 20, 2021 – City Council
- March 18, 2021
- November 20, 2020
- August 3, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- February 11, 2020
- November 15, 2019
Community Action Plan Overview
Through a contract with SDHC on behalf of the City, the Corporation for Supportive Housing (CSH), a nationally recognized consultant with broad expertise in the area of homelessness, developed this Community Action Plan.
The initial development of this plan included the creation of a Steering Committee that consisted of key staff members from major funding and policy-making agencies in the City of San Diego.
The Steering Committee included Keely Halsey, Chief of Homelessness Strategies & Housing Liaison for the Office of Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer; Molly Chase, Chief of Staff for San Diego City Councilmember Chris Ward; Tamera Kohler, Chief Executive Officer of the RTFH; and Lisa Jones, Senior Vice President of Homeless Housing Innovations for SDHC. The Steering Committee supported the work of CSH through all phases of the plan development.
The participation and input of more than 200 members of the community, including individuals who have experienced homelessness and those who regularly work directly with individuals experiencing homelessness, contributed to the development of the goals, principles, recommendations and strategies in this Community Action Plan.