Private landlords are essential partners in the San Diego Housing Commission’s (SDHC) federal Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance program.
The rental assistance program is SDHC’s largest, helping more than 15,000 low-income households in the City of San Diego.
The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Families that receive rental assistance pay a predetermined portion of their income toward their rent. SDHC pays the remainder of the rent, up to the applicable payment standard, directly to the landlord.
The benefits for landlords who participate in the program include:
- Consistent and On-Time Rent Payment – SDHC pays its portion of the contract rent through direct deposit to the landlord’s bank on the first business day of the month, and holds tenants responsible for paying their monthly rent portion on time.
- Filling Vacancies Quickly – SDHC maintains a wait list of families for the rental assistance program. Tenants are always available immediately.
- Free Listing Service – Landlords have free access to SDHC’s online searchable listing service. GoSection8.com lists your rental properties to rental assistance participants.
- Landlord Stays in Control – Landlords retain the right to pre-screen and select the tenants they want. A landlord may terminate tenancy at the end of any lease term without cause by providing the tenant and SDHC at least a 30-day notice to vacate in writing.
- Enhanced Customer Service – Includes unit inspections every two years, electronic signature software for leasing documents, and self-certification of repairs for qualified landlords. A secure, online “Landlord Portal” provides account information around the clock.
- Personal Satisfaction – Participating landlords have the satisfaction of providing needed housing at market rates for low-income families, seniors, and individuals with disabilities.
For additional information please call (619) 578-7777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.