The San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) has earned a national reputation as a model public housing agency, creating innovative programs that provide housing opportunities for individuals and families with low income or experiencing homelessness in the City of San Diego — the eighth-largest city in the nation, second largest in California.
An award-winning public housing agency created in 1979, SDHC performs three major program functions that create affordable housing opportunities:
- Federal rental housing assistance provider for more than 16,000 low-income households, annually;
- Partner to address homelessness, including HOUSING FIRST – SAN DIEGO, SDHC’s landmark homelessness action plan; and
- Affordable housing developer, investor and lender—producing more than 23,000 affordable housing units currently in service through partnership developments and acquisitions.
Moving to Work Agency
SDHC is one of 80 public housing authorities nationwide, out of 3,200, to receive a Moving to Work (MTW) designation from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). MTW status provides SDHC the flexibility to design and implement innovative, cost-effective approaches to provide Federal housing assistance.
Everyone in the City of San Diego has a home they can afford.
The San Diego Housing Commission (SDHC) fosters social and economic stability for vulnerable populations in the City of San Diego through:
- Quality, affordable housing.
- Opportunities for financial self-reliance.
- Homelessness solutions.
Help individuals, families and the San Diego community thrive.
At SDHC, we:
- Serve our clients with equity, dignity and respect.
- Are committed to excellence and innovation in all we do.
- Believe in transparency and being good financial stewards.
Strategic Priority Areas
- Increasing and Preserving Housing Solutions.
- Helping Families Increase Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency and Quality of Life.
- Investing in Our Team.
- Advancing Homelessness Solutions – Supporting the City of San Diego
- Community Action Plan on Homelessness.
- Advocacy, Communication, Public Engagement.
Equity and Inclusivity
At SDHC, we are about people. SDHC embraces diverse approaches and points of view to improve our programs, projects and policies.
- We believe in delivering programs and services in innovative and inclusive ways.
- We are committed to advancing equity and inclusion both internally and externally.